ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Yikes! White hairs on back!

Re: Yikes! White hairs on back!

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 00:54:05 -0700

Nina, you wrote:
> This spring I bought a new dressage saddle which my trainer feels fits my horse pretty well. <snip> Now we're ready for a 30 miler in two weeks and these white hairs started psopping up!!
> The first one were under the electrode for my HRM. (Okay, I can move this back a little,) But then some started on his back mainly on the left side. <snip> I've never noticed him being sore when I rub him clean.

He may be numb from the pressure & not react to his cleaning. Run your
hand lightly over the area to feel for any thickening - a sign of
scarring. Close your eyes to help concentrate on what you feel.

If the hairs were white under the monitor electrode, moving the
electrode is a good try at ameliorating the problem. You say the other
white hairs are cropping up mainly on the left side - this sounds like
you are weighting one hip more than another, shifting the saddle ever so
slightly. If the left side is affected, I suspect that you sit more on
the right hip which pulls the saddle across the back & down onto the
left side.

I did the same thing (to the opposite side) & never realized it until,
years ago, I went to a dressage clinic with a famous trainer. At the
time, I felt that I had wasted my "slot" & money because ALL I got to do
was ride on the lounge line while sitting on my hands at all gaits.
After a while (read 45 minutes of my 90 minute slot), I suddenly
realized that the trainer was right - I was lopsided (ever so
slightly). Knowing this, I concentrate on staying centered and weighting
my seat bones evenly. It was actually the BEST lesson I've ever had.
What I learned has carried over into dressage, hunt, jumping, western
reining, and endurance.

> Now what? I'm hesitant to change tack two weeks before a ride but if what I have is hurting him... I do have some open foam pads which are cut for a western saddle. Should I put these between the wool and the saddle? I also have a wool felt pad, quarter inch thick, should I use that under the fleece? Once my vet suggested a gel pad but that seems too hot...

For us, felt will scald the horse's back for a 30 mile ride - I wouldn't
recommend it. It may tend to catch the hairs in its matrix and pull
them as well. The open foam pads can be as hot or worse than gel pads
that aren't made for endurance. (Read equigel, etc) You can probably
continue with the same saddle until you figure out the balance &
centered position. Cloud Nine pad may help (would have to be custom),
or a Wolf Gel Pad.

We sell the Wolf Gel Pad - it's breathable, can be heated or chilled for
hot or cold therapy. I believe that Running Bear Farms (Teddy
Lancaster) and Equine Performance Technology (Roger Rittenhouse) sell
the Cloud Nine pad.

These pads will help relieve pressure, but they are just a temporary fix
until you can work w/ your instructor. If the white hairs start showing
up on both sides of the back, your saddle is too tight. Adding more
pads to a tight saddle just makes it tighter! You may also be seeing
some damage that happened to the winter coat hair follicles last year.
The winter hair may be just coming in, including the white. (If this is
the case, he'll shed them out in spring & have them return each fall.)
What was happening a year ago? Different rider? Different tack?

Good luck finding a solution.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV