ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Trailer Question

Re: Trailer Question

Bonnie Short (carriage@olympus.net)
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 13:23:09 -0700

Hi Karolyn,

I have been there and done that too.

If this were my horse, I would very quietly put her back in the trailer
each time she hurried out. Set it up so you have the time to do so for a
while. I had a four horse trailer after a two horse trailer. The hurrying
out of the longer trailer is normal. Give that some time. Don't try to
hold her, as this will raise her head and she will bump the top. No one is
strong enough to hold them in. Use a head bumper made of leather to avoid
the stitches. The neoprene ones are good for just bumps, but if they hit
something with an edge to it, the neoprene tends to cut, allowing the horse
to be cut also.

I presume you were unloading from a slant load. Let her back out until she
settles some before you start turning her around in the trailer. Then, use
caution when you do this as they tend to hurry when they turn. It is
another one of those claustrophobic things. They get over it as soon as
they realize there is no problem. In otherwords, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I believe in horses being allowed to be horses and live in pastures, not
stalls, but it sounds like some stall time for this horse on a regular
basis would be good for her. I would stable her for short periods of time
each day. Probably for feeding would be enough. I have a mare that spends
the day in the stall and nights out on pasture. (She gets too fat.) Use
what is handy for you. I think some stall time would help your trailering
problems as it sounds like she is not used to the close quarters of either.

Good luck to you, and be patient.

Bonnie in western Washington