ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: saddle doesn't fit

Re: saddle doesn't fit

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:19:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Cyndi Lester wrote:

> PP does not. He seems to have a tendency to stumble when I ride in it.
> I am a 'heavyweight', and although he doesn't have dry spots or sore
> spots, I have discontinued using it. I have tried an english saddle
> that that my daughter owns and Blue does great in it - no stumbling. My
> previous experience with Wintecs were very positive so I was surprised
> that there is a problem with it. Any ideas? Thoughts?

It is entirely possible that rather than having a saddle that does not fit
your horse, you have a saddle that does not fit the rider. I am
unfamiliar with the Wintec Aussie, but if it is like many Aussie style
saddles it has those things in front of your thighs (I know there is a
word for these) that hold your leg in a particular place.

It is possible that due to the cut of this saddle, the balance of the
seat, the placement of those things, the placement of the stirrups, etc.
that this saddle does not center YOUR weight on the horse properly and
give you a proper leg position.

If the effect of this is to move your weight onto the forehand of the
horse, thus making it more difficult for the horse to raise its shoulder,
it could cause your horse to "stumble" because he is not picking up his
forefeet soon enough.

Just a thought....either way...you have to get a different saddle.

kat
Orange County, Calif.