ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Horses in unhitched trailers...WARNING!

Re: Horses in unhitched trailers...WARNING!

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:10:55 -0700

As one who has defended putting horses into unhitched trailers, I will
conceed that possibility. On my 2 axel 3 horse stock, the horse could not
put enough weight behind the axel to tip it. Perhaps if he leaned real
hard on a closed door, but the only purpose of loading in the unhitched
trailer is loading practice. The only scenario in which the door would be
closed would be if the horse was also tied in the front of the trailer. The
problem is far more likely in a single axel trailer than a dual axel
trailer. Actually the weight that would unbalance the tongue weight can be
calculated.

W = TW * DRA / DTA where
W would be the weight to tip the trailer. TW would be unloaded tongue
weight, DRA would be distance from rear of trailer to rear axel, and DTA
would be distance from tongue to rear axel. The number would actually be
somewhat higher for a dual axel (because the weight of the front axel would
have to be lifted). In any case allow a safety factor. Additional weight in
the manger or tack room will alter these numbers favorable (remeasure
tounge weight with the added front weight, and make sure the weight is
secure).

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: Niccolai Murphy <hlurphy@socal.wanet.com>
>
> Snodgrass, Bonnie wrote:
>
> > O.K. I confess. Years ago as a teenager with my first horse, my
Dad

> > unhitched the trailer from his car after blocking the wheels. My
14

> > hand pony moved his weight to the rear of the trailer, sinking
that

> > end to the ground and lifting the front of the trailer up, like a
> > see-saw. He paniced, leaping forward into the manger where one
foot

> > hung up. He had to be lifted out of the manger by two men. Never
> > again! The tongue weight of most (all?) trailers is lower than the
> > weight of a horse. So I suspect that if the horse shifts enough to
> > the
> > rear of the axels it will tip the back of the trailer downward as
> > happened to us. I won't take that chance again.
> >
> > Bonnie Snodgrass

> > Part 1.2 Type: application/ms-tnef
> > Encoding: base64
>
> Seen this happen in the UK where trailers are sometimes pulled by binky
little Ford Escorts and such when they forget to put
> the stands down at the back. Lifts the car up. The stands also work well
for unhitched trailers, but these trailers also have
> parking brakes. They also have the advatage of removing any suspension
and makes the trailer rock steady for loading, if you