ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: High protein feeds

Re: High protein feeds

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:55:09 -0700

50% alfalfa provides more than enough protein. Does the horse have free
choice hay, or are you restricting hay intake. I would increase hay
(assuming he is not already maxed out) before adding other feeds. I assume
lite pellets are a relative high fiber food. If they are a concentrate, I
would be concerned about the percentage of diet that would be concentrate.
I am not sure what the purpose of the lite pellets - but then I am not sure
what they are.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: Cheryl Newbanks <horsetrails@inficad.com>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: High protein feeds
> Date: Thursday, September 04, 1997 9:05 PM
>
> Me again:}
>
> Next question is about high protein for high performance horses. Blue
> started running low on energy when I started working him on getting his
> heart rate up and such. So I increased his feed and it helped for a
while,
> but once again he hit a plateu, this is a very fit horse with resting
heart
> rate of 27-28 and great P&R's after a big mountain pass. None of the
other
> horses heart rates are ever near him at our little P&R checks at the top
of
> the mountains and I have a hard time getting him over 44 bpm. Anyway, I
> decided that since I don't feed alfalfa much, less the 50% of his ration,
> that maybe I should get a better feed for him so I found some sweet feed
> with a 16% protein ratio. He was a little spooky today, which is rare
for
> him since he is very bomb proof, so the new feed may be doing that to
him,
> but I didn't see a remarkable improvement in his energy level. He gets
the
> following 2x's a day, about 5lbs of hay, 5 lbs of lite pellets and 3 lbs
of
> the sweet feed I mentioned with about a 3/4's cup of corn oil added. His
> weight is good, though I just got it up to where I like to see my horses
in
> the past month. He tends to be a hard keeper and was thin when we bought
> him last january. I put the weight on him with rice bran and come to
think
> of it his engergy level was pretty good on the rice bran also. But the
> stuff is so expensive.
>
> His work schedule is 4 days a week or every other day, with 2 days back
> back. He does about 6 miles each work day with about 2 miles of it in
> mountain and hill climbing. We are currently trotting at a slow jog
about 3
> miles of the trail also, walking the hills and short breaks at the walk.
He