ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Horses in unhitched trailers...WARNING!

Re: Horses in unhitched trailers...WARNING!

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 10:56:39 -0700

Snodgrass, Bonnie wrote:

> O.K. I confess. Years ago as a teenager with my first horse, my Dad
>
> unhitched the trailer from his car after blocking the wheels. My 14
>
> hand pony moved his weight to the rear of the trailer, sinking that
>
> end to the ground and lifting the front of the trailer up, like a
> see-saw. He paniced, leaping forward into the manger where one foot
>
> hung up. He had to be lifted out of the manger by two men. Never
> again! The tongue weight of most (all?) trailers is lower than the
> weight of a horse. So I suspect that if the horse shifts enough to
> the
> rear of the axels it will tip the back of the trailer downward as
> happened to us. I won't take that chance again.
>
> Bonnie Snodgrass

> _________________________________
>
> > Is it safe to put a horse in an unhitched trailer? I was offered
> > accomadtions at a ride, by a friend. He said I could leave my horse in
> his
> > spare 4 horse stock, which is not hitched to anything, overnight.
> Thanks
> > for any info or experience anyone may have.
> > David Sonnenberg

> Part 1.2 Type: application/ms-tnef
> Encoding: base64

Seen this happen in the UK where trailers are sometimes pulled by binky little Ford Escorts and such when they forget to put
the stands down at the back. Lifts the car up. The stands also work well for unhitched trailers, but these trailers also have
parking brakes. They also have the advatage of removing any suspension and makes the trailer rock steady for loading, if you
put the nose wheel down too.

--
Open the pod bay door please Hal.