ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: biothane

Re: biothane

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 16:15:39 -0700

SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> Just a note, there are other products similar but are NOT "Biothane"
> products. The Biothane I believe (corect me if I am wrong) is coloured nylon
> covered in clear plastic, not plain nylon covered in coloured plastic. It
> affects the way the tack would discolour - or not!

That is one way of trying to tell if you have Biothane (the good stuff)
and oputhane (<definitely> stay away from stuff). Biothane is nylon
strap goods with the urethane extruded into the nylon to make a life
long bond. Oputhane has the urethane coated or laminated onto the
nylon. It is notorious for "delaminating". Delamination looks like the
color has become cloudy as the coating pulls away. This is a real let
down as most of the cost in the piece of tack is in the workmanship.
Oputhane may last for a season. Biothane lasts much longer!