ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: spooking

Re: spooking

Jude Hall (Hall@cc.denison.edu)
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 09:45:58 -0400 (EDT)

Tina Hicks wrote:

>I have adopted the attitude of "if it doesn't get me off then I ignore it"
>(mostly) which means at a trot or canter and Tony does his teleport business
>or pogo-stick legs I give no reaction and we keep going.

This is my philosophy (& practice) also. I just ignore whatever the
horse is spooking around at and ask them to *go on*. John Lyons says
that if we make a big deal out of everything the horse hesitates at,
they will actually learn to put the brakes on when they are unsure
of something on trail. We are to give the horse confidence that it
is no big deal and ask the horse to continue doing what we asked
it to do. Works for us!

Jude Hall
Granville Ohio
Just resurfacing from the rubble on my desk after a summer off....