ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #574

Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #574

Wolgram's (bkwranch@cmn.net)
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 20:18:02 -0600

Regarding Dodge Diesel (or more specificallly---dirty word---automatic
transmission). Your letter made me realize why my husband swears that he
would not own a truck, any truck, that is going to be used for a lot of
hauling, with an automatic transmission. Having replaced a number of them,
we are 5-speed fans all the way. We have heard that the Dodge may come out
with a 6-speed in '98, and, when our '97 is paid off in four years, I guess
we'll go to the 6-speed. Thanks for the info on recall information, good
to know. Betty Wolgram

----------
> [...]
> Subject: Dodge Diesel
>
> Hi all,
>
> This message is for all of you who pull with a Dodge Diesel. We had a
> slight mishap over the weekend, our 1996 Dodge died! We were pulling
> up a 9% incline, pulling two horses and had our camper on the truck,
> and the transmission (automatic) went completely out. There was no
> "park" to help hold the truck, and the parking brake alone wouldn't
> hold the truck, so I had to jump out as the rig
> began to roll backwards, and block the tires. Pretty scary...
>
> We ended up unloading the horses and riding them to the cabin...
>
> What I wanted to get out to the masses was a web page which tells of
> all recalls for various vehicles.
>
> http://WWW.NHTSA.DOT.GOV/cars/problems/
>
> We found what we suspect the problem is to be one of the recall items
> for the 1996 dodge. You can look at this list and hope your truck is
> still under warranty. Here is what we found:
>
> "Under certain high load operating conditions, the transmission fluid
> temperature can exceed the melting point of the material used in the
connector
> to retain the fluid line to the transmission.
>
> When these temperatures occur, the fluid line will not stay connected
with the
> transmission and fluid can spray onto the exhaust manifold, resulting in
smoke
> or fire."
>
> Happy riding,
>
> Layne Simmons
> Star, Idaho
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 17:01:51 -0500
> From: "Michael K. Maul" <mmaul@micro.ti.com>
> To: ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: The Central Team page for Pan Amer Championship Ride
>
> For those who are interested - the Central Region team home page
> for the Pan American Championship Ride on Sept 13 can be reached from
>
> http://www.endurance.net/oregon
>
> I believe that we have the right names with the right pictures
> but if you see someone there that you believe does not match the
> photo - please let me know.
>
> Steph Teeter and Denise Krakowski of Endurance Net
> have been very generous in putting up the site for the Central Team.
> Denise has provided the artistic input and the html skill to make
> it an excellent page.
>
> Mike
> mmaul@micro.ti.com
> Houston, TX
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: guest@endurance.net
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Newbie
>
> Please do not reply to guest@endurance.net.
> The actual sender information follows.
>
> From: Megan Capon
> Email: capon@debtmaster.com
>
> I am subscribing to the digest version as of today, and though I would
introduce myself.

> I am a "horseless rider" in that I have never owned a horse of my own,
but have grown up working on a horse farm that mainly specialized in TB and
running QH. I have just broke an Arab mule to ride for a freind here in Cle
Elum, WA, in trying to keep my skills up and have a good time after work.
(By far the best trail animal I have ever seen, BTW!)

> I have had the unusual good fortune to have learned most of what I know
from a woman who was on the 1976 wagon train, and crewed for someone (I
don't know who) on the Great American Horse race on the way back. If anyone
would like more information on either of these events, I can probably get
ahold of her for you.

> I hope to get involved in endurance riding in the future, but for now am
using this forum as an opportunity to keep educated about a sport that I
feel promotes an extremely high level of horsmanship, training, and sound
breeding. My best regards and highest respect to those who have been
contributing to the archives.

> [...]
> administrator has to forward it. I am also getting it directly to my new
> e-mail. You said that you were having trouble finding my old e-mail to
> remove it from the list-try looking for this and see if it works:
>
> carlgrp@shellx.best.com
>
> Please let me know if this was successful
>
> Thanks,
> Diane Daly
> diane@thecarlgroup.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 15:46:06 -0700
> From: Kimberly Price <PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com>
> To: halfmeyer@cc.ucsf.edu, ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Clarification ....
>
> Regarding who came in 8th on Gardnerville, from Katja:
>
> Yes, it was Eilidh Grant again, she rode Socks and she always rides
> Socks,
> because he is her favorite horse and Jazon respects that....
> We saw him in the pasture, he lost a few pounds, but looked healthy and
> shiny (under the dirt crust, of course!), he is a very nice horse!
>
> Jazon took Boots on his first 50 and the little guy must have done
> really
> well, trotting along with Mr. Professional Socks, until he got the bad
> cut,
> I still don't know how it happened, but it sure was bad luck.......Boots
> is
> on vacation/REHA right now and I'm sure he loves it!!
>
> If you sent your congrats for Jazon to ridecamp, feel free to forward
> this
> one, too, then I don't have to put it in when I see your post!
>
> Later,
> Katja
>
> BTW, Eilidh is the 15 year old Jr., and I like to give her all the
> encourgagement possible. This girl is quite a horsewoman already and
> quite mature beyond her years. So "well done!" to Eilidh!
> Kimberly (the 35 year old Junior!..getting confused over socks, boots
> and sometimes, toes!)
> & Mystery the Morab (being arabish lately...)
> Pt.Reyes, CA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 17:36:19 -0700
> From: louie@mr_gateway.gomontana.com (louie)
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: knee stretches
>
> Just a quick add to the knee stretch.
> My orthopedist diagnosed tendinitis in my knee that was causing the
severe
> sharp pain during riding (most severely during long walks or downhill
> sections). The exercise he recommended, and the only one, was a standing
> quad stretch. The trick it to do it right. Stand on one foot and grasp
> your other ankle pulling upward, heel to thigh. Be sure, and this is the
> important part, your knee is right next to your knee on the support leg,
> even touching. Align your hip in a straight line over your bent leg and
> drop the hip if possible to maximize the stretch. He told me to do this
> three times a day and before riding and whenever I feel the pain start.
It
> has worked remarkably well. I've even taught my horse not to freak when
I'm
> [...]
> is to discuss things related to <<ENDURANCE RIDING>>. I quote directly
> from the welcome that all endurance list subscribers
> receive... _
> ___ _ __ __| |_ _ _ __ __ _ _ __ ___ ___
> / _ \ '_ \ / _` | | | | '__/ _` | '_ \ / __/ _ \
> | __/ | | | (_| | |_| | | | (_| | | | | (_| __/
> \___|_| |_|\__,_|\__,_|_| \__,_|_| |_|\___\___|
> the mailing list for endurance and distance riding.
>
> Endurance, a forum for those involved in distance riding to discuss
> pertinent=20
> topics, announce rides and results, ask questions, exchange ideas and=20
> experiences. Current subscribers include riders, ride managers,
> veterinarians,=20
> breeders and trainers, and equipment vendors. <end quote>
>
> There are animal health forums, women's health forums, medical forums,
> and other horse forums (equine list, rec.equestrian, etc.) where you can
> post these NON-ENDURANCE topics. If you feel that it is important that
> folks are aware that you have an update on a subject that doesn't fall
> into "things related to endurance", try a brief note that points them to
> your home page (?dedicated to Premarin & the horse farms?), or they can
> send a request for a periodic newsletter.
>
> You will reach a far greater audience if the Internet search engines can
> spot your site or find reference to you publishing a periodic newsletter
> to a mailing list that you compile.
>
> Linda Flemmer
> Blue Wolf Ranch
> Bruceton Mills, WV
> --=20
> =FFWPC$=04
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:27:14 -0700
> From: Don and Jennifer <dandj@thevision.net>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: spooking
>
> Help! This is somewhat endurance related so I'm hoping that anyone out
> there can give me some advice. My quarter horse mare spooks at
everything.
> Everywhere I ride her she finds something to jump at and it just seems to
> get worse. I've ridden out with her by herself, with pasture mates, with
my
> husband (in his wheelchair) ahead, behind, and next to, and with the
ranch
> dog. She won't spook if the dog runs up on her and under her nose but
let a
> rabbit or bird take off and she panics. The irrigators can roar by in
their
> trucks and quadrunners but once we're out she's nuts. She's a dream in
the
> ridding area and will even come over and stand at her saddle when I take
it
> off as she is not done. She is eager to please and willing but I'm
getting
> more and more frustrated with her I know she won't be endurance material
> but if I can just take her out quietly on a trail ride with my family
I'll