ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Shoeing ???

RE: Shoeing ???

CMikeT@aol.com
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 13:11:03 -0400 (EDT)

Lennie,

AERC does not have any rule whatsoever about shoeing/trimming/hoof care and
tries very hard no to get into that sort of thing. Whatever keeps your horse
going the best is what you should do. As of yet, I have never seen any shoe
that gives a horse an unfair advantage.

Please do keep in mind that many ride manages put in their ride rules that
"horses must be shod" which is simply from on a old boilerplate ride rule
form. If you want to ride barefoot, then contact the ride manager and see if
they have a valid reason for including that rule. Personally, I do not
encourage riding most rides without hoof protection, but I will support you
if you want to try.

The most important thing is whether the horse can do the ride while remaining
sound throughout and not impairing future health or performance.

I hope this clears up this facet of the rules.

Sincerely,
Mike

C. Mike Tomlinson DVM
CMikeT@AOL.com

-----Original Message-----
From: QUESTFARM
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 1997 2:13 PM
To: CMikeT
Subject: ???

The previous email just sent automatically that was wierd. anyway my question
is :
Is there a shoeing regulation (limit) ect in AERC as there is in NATRC?
I read the online rules and didn't see one. Specifically are aggbars and
pads allowed and are just pads and regular shoeing allowed?

Thanks alot
Lennie