ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms

Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:33:46 -0700

Lack of track record may be the best reason not to use. A single report by
a single person without any protocol or controls is a very good reason not
to try it absent some very good reason.

The reservation about encysted parasites was directly related to the
probably toxcity effect of copper on lower lifeforms. It is probably
effective against worms in the stomach, but I have no reason to assume that
it is effective against encysted parasites, and some reason to believe that
it would ineffective against migrating parasites. In any case, it is up to
the person claiming effectiveness to demonstrate its effectiveness with the
various parasites at various life stages. I don't have the burden of
proving ineffectiveness.

The lack of density figures for one form of copper sulfate were to alert
anyone, that it is entirely possible that it could supply toxic doses of
copper. I am not entirely sure what bluestone is - perhaps my ignorance.
Various regions have non-standard terms that can be misleading. Copper
sulfate is one of 3 possible different chemicals which I was very precise
about in my post - more than I can say about the quote from the book. The
amount of copper the horse receives is different depending on what chemical
was referred to. If you can add any useful information as to which chemical
was actually used great, but don't blame me for raising questions.

What is in seaweed that keeps selenium at proper level? Will it prevent
selenium toxicity from animals whose feed has toxic levels of selenium?
Does it supply selenium to horses that whose feed is selenium deficient?
How does calcium and magnesium work together? Is it possible to have too
much calcium and too little magnesium? How about the other way around?
Should horses that receive high magnesium levels receive additional
magnesium? What is the appropriate magnesium level for horse? Calcium?
Selenium? Phosphorous?

Prevention is certainly better than a cure. Copper sulfate is a cure. Good
sanitation and good pasture management is prevention. But with worms,
prevention is not likely to be 100% effective, thus the necessity to use an
anthlemintic whether that be copper sulfate, ivermectin, or some other
drug. Arsenic has been used through the ages - care to try some. If it has
not been widely used, on what basis can it be said that there are no side
effects?

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
<dfletche@gte.net>
> Subject: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> Date: Thursday, August 28, 1997 4:08 PM
>
> Dear Duncan,
> Thanks for your reply and cautions. Do I detect a note of sceptisism in
> your reply to my suggestions about bluestone (copper sulphate) as an
> alternate strategy for worms. Statements like:-
> I don't have any idea of its effect on encysted parasites;

> I don't have any density figures of copper sulphate;
> It does not appear that feeding copper sulphate in that quantity is
toxic;
> At best studies of this level of copper sulphate intake are limited;
> I have no information about the effects of dolomite on copper one way or
> the other;and
> Jumping to something with no track record at all may have all sorts of
> unknown risks,
> Do not sound like scientific reasons to debunk an alternative.
>

> The reason seaweed meal is included is that it will keep the selenium to
> the proper level.
> Dolomite which includes calcium and magnesium always work together.one
is
> no good without the other.
> Copper Sulphate has been used by horsemen for ages and it was also was a
> favourite for humans with worms in times gone by. The only unfortunate
> thing is that, like a lot of olden remedies, no proper records were kept.

> In this case however, I as a layman, am convinced that this alternate
> strategy does work without any side effects and is much cheaper. It is
much
> better not to have parasites than to keep getting them then having to
> treat them. Prevention is better than cure.
> If you are still a doubting Duncan please obtain the Abrecht
Papers(3vols)
> by William A Abrecht;Edited by Charles Walters Jnr.,published by Acres
USA,