ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #561

Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #561

Wolgram's (bkwranch@cmn.net)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:05:55 -0600

Is it possible she was in heat? My mare quivers and displays such behavior
the first couple of days of her heat cycle. It took me quite a while to
figure it out...scared me at first; I thought she was tying up, colicking,
etc. Just a thought...Betty

----------
> From: ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net
> To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net
> Subject: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #561
> Date: Thursday, August 28, 1997 6:29 AM
>
> ------------------------------
>

> ridecamp-d Digest Volume 97 : Issue 561
>
> Today's Topics:
> Bluestone for Worms
> Camping VA
> Trailers
> Bitting Sides
> Twin Oaks Ride Results (Long)
> Re: big horses
> Re: Big horses (Karahty)
> Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #556
> Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> Re: Welts on back
> Crew/helpers needed for the Pan Am Ride
> Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> VERA State Championship Ride - 24 Aug 97
> RE: Camping in VA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:13:00 -0700
> From: "Blankenship, Ann" <ABlankenship@commerce.ca.gov>
> To: "'ridecamp'" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Bluestone for Worms
>
> Bruce, I don't know what you mean when you say "dessert spoon". Is that
> what cookbooks call a tablespoon or a teaspoon? Three teaspoons equal
> one tablespoon. And I wasn't clear how many days you feed this recipe.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:41:13 -0300
> From: Gail Dillon <rthogg@epix.net>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Camping VA
>
> Johnson, Donna M. wrote:
> >
> > > Some time back someone on the list mentioned a nice place in VA to go
> > > camping and trail riding. I do not seem to be able to find that
> > > message. Could you please resend the information.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Donna & Rocky
> > >Last summer my husband and I camped with our equines (horse & mule) at
Grayson Highlands
> State Park in SW VA. in the Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area (south of
Marion, VA).
> This is a state park with a separate campground for equine people. There
are primitive
> campsites and a nice shower and toilets. The horses must use the
standing stalls
> (choice of covered or uncovered). You have to have reservations and
apparently it fills
> up pretty fast. Telephone #703 579-7092. It was beautiful! The
campground is about
> 4500 feet elevation (which caused us to lose our transmission, but that's
another
> story!).
> We've also heard of a place called "Spruce Knob", maybe in West VA.
Anybody know
> anything about that?
>
> Gail Dillon SE PA.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:35:27 -0400 (EDT)
> From: CATUNDERWD@aol.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Trailers
>
> This is my first post and I tried four days ago and it has not appeared
yet.
> If this ends up being a duplicate please disregard.
>
> I am currently in the market for a horse trailer. I would like to buy
> aluminum, but can't afford it right now. I've had a steel trailer and
here
> in north Florida they seem to rust pretty quickly. I have just started
> looking at the aluminum skin trailer as they appear to be a compromise
> between the two. If anyone has any experience or input regarding this
type
> of trailer I would appreciate you e-mailing me personally at
> CatUnderwd@aol.com. Thanks!
>
> Cathy Underwood
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:51:54 -0700
> From: "G & J Thom" <thomlabs@netbistro.com>
> To: "Endurance" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Bitting Sides
>
> I was riding my endurance mare today, we have a 50 mile to go to on
> Sat. This mare is 14yr old and in great shape having been to four rides
> already this summer and doing wonderfully. While I was riding her today
> every couple of minutes her sides would start to quiver and she would
bite
> at her side approx just above my ankle. She would come to a complete
stop
> while doing this. I became quite concerned and decided to walk with her,
> this
> helped a bit as she did this less often. I don't think it was colic as
she
> wanted to
> eat and passed manure no problem. I had my heart monitor on and she
walked
> at about 70 to 80 and would drop down to 60 very quickly when we stopped.

> My
> friend was with me and said the mare looked very upset everytime this
would
> happen.
> Am concerned as to whether to let her go to the ride this Sat. I checked
> her blanket
> and cinch to make sure nothing was bothering her that way. Any ideas as
> what
> might be going on would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Julia
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:28:35 -0700
> From: "Carol Barrett" <cbar@lightspeed.net>
> To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Twin Oaks Ride Results (Long)
>
> Here are the results of the Twin Oaks Ride held last Saturday. For those
> who couldn't come, you missed a good one..........

> [...]
Code

> 1. Renee Bowers 5:51
> 2. Larry Bowers 6:05
> 3. Wendy Merendini 6:08
> 4. Steven Lenheim 6:31
> 5. Michael Stueve 6:33
> 6. Fred Beahm 6:41
> 7. Anne Wrenn 7:01
> 8. Cherry Stockton 7:01
> 9. Don Harris 7:09
> 10. Kristin Olko 7:10
> 11. Linda Dollar 7:19
> 12. Shelee Lyon 7:19.1
> 13. Robyn Levash 7:30
> 14. Roxanne Greene 7:30.1
> 15. Charlie Robinson 8:01
> 16. Tammy Robinson 8:01.1
> 17. Toni Semple 8:01.2
> 18. Mei Ling Cheung 8:01.3
> 19. Tony Clark 8:10
> 20. Linda Demesek 8:22
> 21. Marci Cunningham 8:35
> 22. Jacay Gamble 8:35.1
> 23. Jim Mitchell 9:16
> 24. Karen Sweaney 9:25
> 25. April Mitchell 9:25.1
> 26. Heather Hackworth 9:49
> 27. Becky Hackworth 9:49.1
> 28. Sarah Zegers 9:50
> 29. Beverly Poorman 10:00
> 30. Laurie Ledbetter 10:00.1
>
> Diane Enderle OT
> Katie Hackworth L
> Elfta Hilzman L
> Dawn Jenkins RO
> Haleanna Jenkins RO
> Ralph LePera L
> Claire Toomey L
> Suzanne Ford-Huff L
> Janice Martinez L
> Audrey Brooks L
> Michael Core L
> Shari Fisher L
>
> ***30 Miler***
> 21 Started, 15 Finish
>
> Finishers:
>
> Allena Hansen
> Jessica Robinson
> Sharon Johnson
> Cheryl Woskow
> Kathy Johnson
> Terry Woolley-Howe
> Carol Resner
> Kathy Garner
> Kirsten Seyferth
> Maureen O'Sullivan
> Camille Antcliffe
> Cecilia Secka
> Carol Barrett
> Rite Jones
> Janet McGee
>

> It was a great ride, though we had more pulls this year than last year.
> This is perplexing since the footing was really good. However, there is a
> lot of downhill on the first loop. Perhaps riders got a little carried
> away.
>
> I hope this ride is put on next year. Unfortunately, I won't be doing it
> (orders from my husband). Also, we had so few riders that my group lost
> money. Since this is a charitable organization, I'm really bummed. Oh,
> well. No one said that putting on rides was a sure thing!
>
> Are other rides experiencing declining attendance? It seems to me that
I've
> [...]
> Jennifer and Don and the Gang
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:14:21 -0700
> From: "Duncan Fletcher" <dfletche@gte.net>
> To: "cameron wood" <wood.cameron@acd.net>
> Cc: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
>
> Without good reason, I generally don't want to be the first one on my
block
> to use any new chemical (read that as food, medicine, etc.), but I would
> take a product that has had to jump through all the approvals (read that
as
> Quest) than one that has not (copper sulfate).
>
> I know nothing about Quest. I would be interested in any information
anyone
> can post that would indicate what parasites and what stages of those
> parasites the drug is effective against. Also what the safety margin is
> (perhaps a LD50 number). The most troublesome parasite with traditional
> wormers (except for ivermectin) is bots. Other boticides have very narrow
> margins of safety. Ivermectin also has its limitations - ineffective
> against tapeworms.
>
> Duncan Fletcher
> dfletche@gte.net
>
> ----------
> > From: cameron wood <wood.cameron@acd.net>
> > To: Duncan Fletcher <dfletche@gte.net>
> > Cc: ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> > Subject: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> > Date: Tuesday, August 26, 1997 8:46 PM
> >

> > > Ivermectrin has been widely used, and the problems are speculation.
> > Jumping
> > > to something with no track record at all may have all sorts of
unknown
> > > risks. For those concerned about overuse of wormer, by all means use
> good
> > > sanitation and pasture management practices and fecal exams to reduce
> the
> > > need for worming, but jump to a different wormer with limited
history?

> > > Duncan Fletcher
> > > dfletche@gte.net
> > >

> > There's another class of dewormer on the market, an alternative to the
> > avermectins (ie, Ivermectin). Gets everything that Ivermectin does,
and
> > goes one step further... gets the encysted stages of strongyles too.
> It's
> > called moxydectin (trade name "Quest") . Available now through
> > veterinarians.
> >
> > The manufacturers recommend using this dewormer (and ONLY this dewormer
> > <g>) four times a year .... their studies indicate that it take 12
weeks
> > for eggs to appear in fecals after using moxydectin because the
encysted
> > larvae are not emerging to produce them.
> >
> > This is a product with a limited history, but I'll try it because of
the
> > testing that's been done on it (moxydectin has been used in Europe and
S.
> [...]
> and a longer effective time and reduced wormer frequency. The reason for
> the longer time between wormings is not given, but suspect it is because
it
> catches the encysted
> worms which would are further along in their life cycle. They make no
> claims about lungworms, intestinal threadworms or summer sores - don't
know
> if it is ineffective or not tested or how common those problems are. It
> also, like ivermectin, makes no claim against tapeworms. This is a
problem
> and requires a double dose of strongid once a year to control (fecal
> examination is not accurate for tape worms). It is labled for use on
foals
> over 4 months which means some other wormer would be required for new
> foals. Safety margin is not clear, but from mode of action, I would
suspect
> it is similar to ivermectin.
>
> Quest mode of action is also interference with neurotransmission for
those
> who are concerned (I am not - although I am open to information on this).
>
> Duncan Fletcher
> dfletche@gte.net
>
> ----------
> > From: Duncan Fletcher <dfletche@gte.net>
> > To: cameron wood <wood.cameron@acd.net>
> > Cc: ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> > Subject: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms
> > Date: Wednesday, August 27, 1997 8:14 PM
> >
> > Without good reason, I generally don't want to be the first one on my
> block
> > to use any new chemical (read that as food, medicine, etc.), but I
would
> > take a product that has had to jump through all the approvals (read
that
> as
> > Quest) than one that has not (copper sulfate).
> >
> > I know nothing about Quest. I would be interested in any information
> anyone
> > can post that would indicate what parasites and what stages of those
> > parasites the drug is effective against. Also what the safety margin is
> > (perhaps a LD50 number). The most troublesome parasite with traditional
> > wormers (except for ivermectin) is bots. Other boticides have very
narrow
> > margins of safety. Ivermectin also has its limitations - ineffective
> > against tapeworms.
> >
> > Duncan Fletcher
> > dfletche@gte.net
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 16:08:55 +1000
> From: Luke Steele <luke.steele@fujitsu.com.au>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: VERA State Championship Ride - 24 Aug 97
>
> Victorian Endurance Riders Association
> State Championship Endurance Ride - 24 August 1997
>
> The venue for this year’s 160 km state championship was Lyrebird Park, in
> the Gembrook State Forest near Yellingbo, 50 kilometres east of
Melbourne.
> Amenities were excellent, with a bunkhouse, dining room, stables and hot
> showers.
> There were 25 starters this year, which was a little down on the number
of
> nominations, but was still a good turnout. The course was in four legs,
of
> 50 km, 45 km, 50 km and a nice short and easy 15 km to finish off. The
> weather started to close in on Friday night, with cold, wet weather
> promised. The midnight start was under clear skies and was very orderly,
> with riders starting behind the ride organiser’s truck.
> Just over three hours later, the first riders returned to camp, as light
> rain started to fall. Five millimetres of rain fell by sunrise, making
the
> track very slippery in places. Several horses were removed from the
> competition by the end of the second leg, all showing slight lameness.
The
> field was well spread out by this stage with a few hours separating the
> leaders from the back of the field.
> The weather had turned cold, with the rain falling as sleet and later
hail,
> making conditions very uncomfortable for all. Several more horses vetted
> out at the end of the third leg, with lameness and a few metabolic
problems.
> The leading rider, Kevin Bohm headed out on the last leg in a heavy
> hailstorm. Shortly after, Gayle Holmes set out on the last leg. Around an
> hour later, both riders had returned, with Kevin first over the line. His
> mare vetted out lame at the final check. Gayle presented her gelding soon
> after, and he vetted out lame also. Next over the line was Marion Noonan.
> The mare she rode was the first to vet successfully, and a very surprised
> Marion was to take line honours.
> Over the next 5 or so hours, those horses who survived the third leg all
> vetted in successfully at the final check. All eyes were on 13 year old
> Nick Cadman from Wodonga. He and his mare Charlotte were attempting their
> first 100 miler, in very difficult conditions. He came in off the third
leg
> cold and wet, but in good spirits. After a shower and a change of
clothes,
> he set off on the last leg alone in the dark. An hour and a half later,
he
> returned to the cheers of the waiting crowd. A bigger cheer went up when
> Charlotte was declared fit to continue at the final check.
> Despite the very low completion rate, the event was a great success. The
> difficult course, slippery track and appalling weather took their toll.
All