ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Bumps on Back

Re: Bumps on Back

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 21:02:49 -0700

Jim & Julie Capaldi wrote:

> If you are using a saddle pad with a synthetic material, could be a
> reaction to the heat and synthetic. I've been there. Natural fibers like
> wool and cotton are the coolest materials.

I agree completely that synthetic fibers can be more abrasive on the
horse's back than wool, cotton, etc. I'm quite fond of the natural wool
pads (Woolback) from Toklat - it's held up well to 4 season of good
riding & competing and is completely washable.

>What worked for me was to
> VERY slowly loosen the girth,one hole at a time, thus allowing
> circulation to gradually return to the back.

"Allowing the circulation to return" is the operative concept here!
Pressure on an area decreases the circulation under it - eventually
there is tissue damage which results in swelling, sores, or internal
tissue damage. Scarring is evident by thickened skin under the area,
white hairs, or white skin in the case of greys.

> Sometimes its the friction. Mostly its the heat.

Friction is a culprit, too. One of my mares changed enough as she got
(too) lean & fit that the custom saddle began to shimmy in back. As we
tried to put weight on her, we switched to an all wool pad with some
success in reducing the friction burns she experienced. (The old naked
loins under the saddle's rear!) Gaining weight so that the saddle fit
better was the ultimate answer.

Heat can irritate the back and provide an environment favorable for grow
of skin organisms (bacteria & fungus), but it usually does not cause
swelling or "plaques". As Julie said, avoid pressure! The speed at
which the saddle is removed, however, is horse lore from a bygone age.
Slowing the rate at which circulation returns to the tissue does not
reduce or alleviate the damage to the tissue from lack of circulation.

Shock absorbing pads may be a possibile answer for some pressure
problems, but they <WILL NOT> help a <tight> saddle fit better :-(
Beware anyone who says that, 'cause it just isn't so.

Tracking down the cause & cure for pressure problems leads many of us on
"The Great Saddle Hunt"!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch Bruceton Mills, WV
Who has finally <finished> "The Great Saddle Hunt" 2 years ago!