ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms

Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:43:00 -0700

Shortly after posting this, my wife presented me with the latest copy of
Equus. The marketing blitz is on. There is a huge ad for Quest. As has been
mentioned, they claim an effectiveness against encysted small strongyles
and a longer effective time and reduced wormer frequency. The reason for
the longer time between wormings is not given, but suspect it is because it
catches the encysted
worms which would are further along in their life cycle. They make no
claims about lungworms, intestinal threadworms or summer sores - don't know
if it is ineffective or not tested or how common those problems are. It
also, like ivermectin, makes no claim against tapeworms. This is a problem
and requires a double dose of strongid once a year to control (fecal
examination is not accurate for tape worms). It is labled for use on foals
over 4 months which means some other wormer would be required for new
foals. Safety margin is not clear, but from mode of action, I would suspect
it is similar to ivermectin.

Quest mode of action is also interference with neurotransmission for those
who are concerned (I am not - although I am open to information on this).

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net