ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms

Re: An Alternate Strategy For Worms

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:32:27 -0700

Considering that copper compounds are highly toxic to many lower life
forms, it comes as no suprise that it can kill parasites in which it comes
in contact - i.e., the parasites found in the stomach. Unless copper is
elevated in the rest of the body, it would not have an effect on migrating
parasites. I don't have any idea of its effect on encysted parasites.

Horses are tolerant of fairly high copper levels at least over the short
term. NRC indicates 800mg/kg of diet or 5500 mg for a horse eating 15 lbs a
day as the maximum tolerable dose of copper. 0.5 teaspoon of copper sulfate
in the form of cupric hydrate (CuSO4:5H2O) would amount to about 1400 mg
of Cu. For copper sulfate in the non hydrate cupric form (CuSO4), it would
amount to 3440 mg. I don't have any density figures of copper sulfate as
Cu2SO4 (Cuprous sulfate), and therefore don't know what the copper intake
might be for that form, but suspect it might be quite a bit higher. Copper
in normal horse food are generally less than 25 mg/kg. It would not appear
that absent other supplementation that feeding cupric sulfate in either
form in that quantity would be toxic. However, copper intake does have an
effect on other minerals, particularly selenium. I would not feed copper at
the levels recommended without taking periodic selenium serum levels. It is
also possible that there are other problems - at best studies of this level
of copper intake are limited.

In addition, the dolomite will supply an additional 10 g of Ca and 3 g of
Mg to the diet. For those people in areas where enteroliths are common, the
additional Mg may not be a good idea and for those concerned about
excessive calcium intake, other adjustments may be necessary. I have no
information about the effects of dolomite on copper one way or the other.

I am not sure of that worming with a chemical fed in extreme amounts where
there is no long term widespread history of use is a great idea.
Ivermectrin has been widely used, and the problems are speculation. Jumping
to something with no track record at all may have all sorts of unknown
risks. For those concerned about overuse of wormer, by all means use good
sanitation and pasture management practices and fecal exams to reduce the
need for worming, but jump to a different wormer with limited history?

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net