Subject: Bioten supplements
Author: ridecamp@endurance.net at smtp
Date: 8/24/97 12:49 PM

Awhile ago someone mentioned the study at the Spanish Riding School which
highlighted the benefits of bioten in a horse's diet. I've not the time nor
inclination to dig up the actual study just now, but the gist of it was that
in the controlled environment of the Riding School, where all the horses are
fed and excercised about the same, those horses which recieved bioten ended
up with better all around hooves: thicker, more resilient horn, healthier
soles, etc., etc.
In light of this I would like to add bioten to David's diet, esp.
considering that David and I must train and condition primarily on hard
gravel roads. So I went to my trusty catalogs to order me some bioten, and
found it ain't so simple. The supplements varied wildly in content and
price. Now, I will and have impoverished myself for the sake of my horses,
and am willing to "pay the price" for the best stuff if it will make a
difference. HOWEVER, I also know that price is not always the whole story,
and that these equine supplement companies are experts at concocting ads
designed to part me from my money.
The biggest difference in bioten supplement prices seemed to revolve
around whether or not zinc methionine had also been added to the supplement.
There were some "pure bioten" supplements which were quite reasonable. Some
others, with herbs and methionine and vitamins added, and shoot, I might as
well feed powdered gold to the animal. How about it gang? How important is
the methionine in there? And does any one know of a good, inexpensive
bioten supplement you've used and liked?

Trish & "pretty David" (who says, if you'd just leave me in the pasture as an
ornament I probably wouldn't need any supplements at all, mom!)