ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: mysterious illness

Re: mysterious illness

sue riegel (riegels@cdsnet.net)
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:41:43 -0700

Hi, Lisa,

I'd find another horse vet as quickly as possible and get him to thoroughly
evaluate your horse.

I have very little patience with a vet who cannot appreciate a concerned
owner and will not provide the service they profess to be committed
to.

It may in fact be nothing serious, but the proper tests will confirm what
it is. HOpefully you have several large animal vets in your area. I'd
get in touch with someone who will provide the professional support you
need. Hang in there, and keep pushing for the kind of vet service you need.

Sue

At 06:50 PM 8/21/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello ridecampers,
>I have been lurking on the list for some time now but I have a problem and
I'm hoping someone out there can help me. Three days ago my 7 year old
stallion went off his feed. Shortly after I noticed that his manure was
scant and foul smelling and a little bit loose ( but still formed). The
only other symptom was that he was depressed and lethargic, not terribly
off but just not himself (although there is always energy for a talk with
the girls!). His heart rate was 28 to32bpm and low grade fever (102.2) I
tried desperately for two days to contact my horse vet with no success and
finally gave up and called the local vet (who prefers cows to horses). The
vet came out and took some blood and left a Sulfa drug and recommended 1.5
grams of Bute 2X a day (which seems excessive to me for a 14.2, 900 lb.
horse) He gave me no answers other than there's some kind of infection
going on.
>Today I was finally able to tempt him with some of my choicest hay and he
has been eating this but without zest. He refuses all grain but will eat a
carrot. He is drinking. If anyone out there has had a similar experience
or could offer any advice please e-mail me at lpopp@pa.net, I would be very
grateful.