ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: AERC Drug Tests & the $1.00 fee

Re: AERC Drug Tests & the $1.00 fee

Judy Saunders (jsaunder@hookup.net)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 23:29:03 -0700

At 08:50 AM 8/19/97 -0700, you wrote:

And, I would not mind the $1.00 per
>rider drug fee charged by AERC if there actually were testing being done
>outside of California, but I do not know of one drug test or horse tested
>outside of California in the last two years. I have been told that Dr.
>Beecher (Chair of the AERC Vet Committee) tested a couple of rides that
>he personally vetted, but I know of no other tests in any region of AERC
>except in California and that is a state policy not AERC policy.

Testing was done at the 1996 Southern II 100 in Illinois...I know because my
horse was tested (negative, I'm sure, but I never officially heard the
results). Dr. Beecher told me that that ride had been randomly selected and
he had come to that ride specifically to bloodtest.

Here in Ontario, we have run unannounced bloodtesting on two separate
occasions. The cost of the testing was covered by a veterinary
pharmaceutical company that has provided sponsorship for our provincial
organization (OCTRA). On both occasions, all competing horses were tested
but not individually identified ie the purpose of the testing was just to
see if any drug use is a concern at our rides. I believe one test showed a
trace amount of antibiotics but otherwise all tests were negative.

Judy Saunders