ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: White line disease

Re: White line disease

James M. Hamilton, DVM (netvet@pinehurst.net)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 07:42:24 -0700 (PDT)

MSulli5332@aol.com wrote:

> Dr. Hamilton
> My mare has been diagnosed with White line Disease by the farrier. This
> was about five weeks ago. He medicated it, can't remember the name of the
> medication now, then put the shoe back on. Now the mare is showing an
> intermitten grade 1 lameness on the left front in a tight circle to the left.
> Is there anything that I can do for her to help relieve her discomfort? cure
> the disease? How can I prevent this from occuring in the future?
>
> Maureen
> msulli5332@aol.com
>
> P.S. Your reply can also be sent to ridecamp@endurance.net as I believe this
> information would help others with the same problem that I have.
> Thanks.

Maureen-
For this horse to be grade1 lame from White lines Disease(WLD) she would
have to be foot tester pos. at the edge of the wall. I think it is more
likely that as a result of the WLD or navicular diease that the horse
was landing on that foot improperly. The result of that may be a
sore/bruised heel or even mild navicular bursitis(even after the WLD is
a cleared up!). I would have your vet perform a coffin joint block to
see if the lameness that now exsists is coming from within the coffin
jt.-navicular complex or if it originates from the hoof. I feel rather
certain that regardless of the outcome of the block, it is unlikely that
WLD is the source of your current lameness.
As far as how to get rid if WLD, my favorite treatment is daily zinc
sulfate soaks- Take a wide rubber foot tub and put 2gals. of hot water
in it, then add a hefty squirt of Ivory dish soap to it and stir with
sweat scraper. Now add 4 cups of zinc sulfate(get it at the garden
store) to thew soap mixture and again stir with the scraper. This can
now be used for 3 days of soaking, 15 mins. each day- make sure to put
patroeum jelly around the cornet band and heels as the solution will
irritate the skin. Every 3 days you need to make up a new batch(picking
out the feet before soaking helps!!). I usually tell my clients that it
takes a good trimming by the blacksmith and 7-10 days of zinc sulfate
soaks to get WLD under control! I hope it works for you, let me know!

JH

--
Jim Hamilton, DVM
netvet@pinehurst.net