ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: LOJAK for Horses?

Re: LOJAK for Horses?

Brent Seufert (Brent.Seufert@pipe.nova.ca)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:39:11 -0600

At 09:59 AM 8/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Linda,
>
>I don't know about vechicle locators, but we use Personal Locator
>Beacons (PLB's) when we train in wilderness areas where there is no cell
>service. PLB's are small, battery operated radio transmitters which
>can be monitored by SARSAT sattellites or hand-held PBL Locators.

Just to make sure....

PLEASE DON'T !

As an active member in Mounted Search and rescue for 8 years, I must speak
up and say: PLB's are for HUMANS only! Using a PLB to locate your horse in
the event of a run away would result is some VERY disgruntled SAR organizations!

Thanks,

Brent Seufert
.
.
.

>Ramey
>
>Linda B. Merims wrote:
>>
>> I am about to take up trucking my horse away from home to
>> the various Massachusetts State Forests to get longer trail loops.
>>
>> However, if I fall off, my little guy does not hang around
>> even if there are other horses in the group, he just takes off
>> back down the trail in his best approximation of a way
>> home (often retracing his steps, but not always).
.
.
.