ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Freeze branding

Re: Freeze branding

karen Clanin (kclanin@fix.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 08:57:32 -0700 (PDT)

>To: Lucy Chaplin Trumbull <elsie@calweb.com>
>From: karen Clanin <kclanin@fix.net>
>Subject: Re: Freeze branding
>
>>Also, with two grey horses (one mostly white), how do they
>>freeze brand them?
>
> On horses with color, chestnut, bay, black, the iron is held on
only long enough to damage the hair follicle so it will come in white.
> On grays it is held on long enough to kill the hair follicle so it
leaves a hairless scar. We've had some very good ones done in the past when
the Registry was doing the purebreds.
> There are private companies doing horses now, even grade horses can
be done.

> With the freeze brand being visible this is my method of choice vs
the implant. We used to have the freeze brand done under the mane but now
days we have it done on the bare neck side so it really stands out and is
visible from a distance. The last company we dealt with, Kyro Kinetics
Associates, Inc, left posters to put up saying horses on the property were
identified by freeze branding (the Registry used to give us the same thing).
I think KKA charged $75 per horse but by putting together a clinic it went
down with the increased numbers of horses. Check horse magazines for places
that do this.

> KKA,Inc 's address from the 2 year old info I have, is P. O. Box
12490 Tucson, AZ 85732-2490 and phone (which I believe has changed) was
(602) 749-2883. They have tech's around the country so you don't have to be
just in Arizona.