ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Old helmets

Re: Old helmets

Bob Wilson (bobwilson@pe.net)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:05:04 -0700

Ann Hatfield wrote:

> I've ridden in my old Bell Tour bike helmet (both the horses and the
> mountain bikes) for years and just recently bought a Troxel for show
> purposes. It isn't as comfortable, harnessed as well, cool or, I suspect,as well made as the old bike helmet.
>
> Does anyone else ride in a bike helmet? Is their any structural
> differences between the two that mean it isn't a good idea to use the bike helmet? The style of helmet I'm speaking of is a large one with a visor.
> It's not just the "lid cap" that I've seen some of the young bikers > use,it's comparable in head-coverage to the Troxel, or maybe larger > coverage, by a bit.
I'm especially interested in Ann's question since deciding to start
wearing a helmet. Spent an hour trying on a variety of horse helmets,
all of which were very uncomfortable.

Later the same day I happened to walk through a department store and
passed a display of bike helmets. Found them to be much more
comfortable. Unless there is a good reason not to use one, I figure
wearing a "bike" helmet is better than leaving behind a "horse" helmet.

Bob Wilson and Blue (But I'd NEVER let you fall off <g>!)