ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: lots a miles, and bits

Re: lots a miles, and bits

tina hicks (hickst@nichols.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:49 AM 8/12/97 -0400, Trishmare@aol.com wrote:
-I have been told by some ridecampers that I might have trouble
>"holding" David to pace during the excitement of an endurance race, esp. the
>start, using only a snaffle and JLyons training

I think that is a problem for all of and the main reason is that in order to
train for something you have to be able to replicate that situation. It's
not hard to replicate drinking from a stream, standing and getting a HR
taken, or trotting down the trail. It IS hard, however, to replicate a) the
number of horses in one place you see at the start and b) the level of
_excitement_ in the air at the start. Horses are very sensitive animals and
I know if *I* can feel the excitement in myself and in the air then the
horse *sure* can and will likely react to it. Isn't that feeling something
tho at the start of a ride??

So, the way to handle that is the way you would handle any other training
situation (given that I just said you can't replicate it <g>) and that is to
work up to it. First several rides, start off after the group leaves. Next
few rides, start with a small group of other like-minded riders towards the
back, etc....You can then decide if you _even_ want to start with the mob or
prefer hanging back some and make up the time (if you are riding for a
placing) elsewhere (vet checks, for example). I have not gotten the nerve to
start with the mob yet - my philosophy is you had better be able to run with
the big dogs if you want to start with the pack/up front and I'd rather stay
back with the puppies for now <vbg>.

So.....if you WANT to be able to control your horse at the start in a
snaffle I think there are ways to do it - however, if you are more
interested in riding with the group sooner then the best option might be to
increase the brakes - at least for the first loop.

Tina - starting with the puppies but sometimes ending up with the big dogs
by the end of the ride - funny how that works