ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #529

Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #529

Karen Allnutt (allnutt@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

>Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:03:56 +1000
>From: "Bruce Overton" <boverton@tpgi.com.au>
>To: "endurance" <ridecamp@endurance.net>,
> "European Endurance" <euroenduro@cee.hw.ac.uk>
>Subject: Helmets of NO
>
>I refer to the many arguments that were aired on the net in recent times
>regarding the wearing of protective helmets. Yesterday I had an experience
>that may convince some that a helmet is a worthwhile investment providing
>that it is worn.
> Before telling the tale let me say that I always wear a helmet while
>riding in Competition but do not when training. Yes, an unlikely incident
>when on a local ride training two horses.
> Two of us left on a 30K ride at 7.30am yesterday and the ride was
>uneventual until we were 40 metres from my front gate. The girl who was
>with me is a novice rider and I was making sure that she was not pushed
>above her capabilities.
>I jumped up a small bank from the road way on to the nature strip which was
>all lawn except for a macedamia tree with plenty of room to avoid it.
> Here is what then happened:- I looked over my shoulder to see that my
>friend had successfuly got up the bank when at that moment KPOW WHAMMY I
>was on the turf without much recollection of what had happened. A
>reconstruction of events is that as I was looking over my shoulder, my
>horse went past the tree wit his own clearance assured but there was an
>overhanging dead branch about 5 inches in diameter that struck me on the
>back of the unprotected head. I do not remember hitting the ground so the
>impact of the branch must have knocked me out for a short period.
>Apparently my friends horse reacted violently to the dead branch crashing
>down and she was also unseated but was wearing a helmet and came to no
>harm. When I came to there were two riderless horses on the road in
>traffic which fortuneately stopped and helped to catch the horses and
>assist the riders.
> I had a 3 inch laceration on the back of my head and was transported by
>Ambulance to a local Doctor who had some sewing practise.
> CONCLUSION:- Pretty self evident as far as Protective Helmets are
>concerned.
>PS In 1957 my brother fell from a motor cycle in the days before helmets
>and struck the back of his head at the bony point (Just a few inches below
>where I was hit). He did not even break the skin but never got another
>chance.
>Bruce from Downunder
>Queenslander
>boverton@tpgi.com.au

Bruce, I am glad you are OK. Sorry about your brother.

Helmet wearing is a funny thing. Too many people consider it 'uncool' and
an indication of weakness. I too used to only wear when jumping or
competing and then had several near misses (shod hooves passing close to my
face, and riding too many young green horses). Part of it is getting past
the teenage immortal feeling and into the I can die before I am 70 outlook
on life if I don't look after myself. If you ride with me on 'my' land or
neighbors land that I have access to you MUST wear a helmet. I have lost
one friend and one acquaintance to non-helmeted horse accidents and have
had enough close calls myself. I even had to replace a helmet after a fall
because it cracked after impact. If I hadn't had it on I would probably be
dead, even with its help I had a minor concussion. I am so thankful that
the new helmets offer more protection than the old. Does anyone remember
the fiberglass shell with a bit of foam padding days?

As I said in another post, horses are 1000 pounds of bone and muscle. They
can inadvertently cause your demise.

I enjoy living an active life-style, I also choose to do it as safely as
possible because I want to do it for a long time.

Ignore those who ridicule you for being safe, after all it is your body and
your life not theirs.

KcA and Arroya Rose (a 1990 Nevada mustang mare from a herd that died due
to starvation in the winter of 1993)