ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Bits & pieces

Re: Bits & pieces

teep@bedford.net
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:32:26 +0000

tina hicks wrote:

> I'm wondering how much riding these horses have had (the ones that folks are
> posting about)? I'm asking because as simple as this answer sounds (and I
> scoffed at it when people said this to me when I was complaining about Tony
> doing the same things I am reading about here) it often *is* true - many of
> these things will go away/become better with riding and riding and riding.
> Flat work will *definitely* help, going out in small groups will help,
> change the bit if it makes you feel better, etc...but often it's miles and
> miles and miles of riding before they figure out they will not just die
> (Tony's belief for a long time <g>) if they do not catch up with the next
> horse or whatever the problem is.

I've seen this in my own horse, even in the short time (couple of
months) we've been doing this ride every day thing. From six to
eight mind-blowing 'jump six feet sideways' spooks, we are now
down to about 2 in four miles, and they are 'stay in one place'
spooks, where the body does a double take but DOES NOT MOVE.
This is not perfect by any means, but it's a big improvement over what
we USED to do. Some things that used to cause major spooks now
just cause a bit of blowing and strongly pricked ears. We're not
ready for prime time (out in public) yet, but we're getting there. :)

And really, all that I've done about it was as follows:
1. stopped the forward/sideways movement (the spook)
2. walked horse over to investigate object until bored
3. passed same, proceeding until next one.

Maybe we'll never be ready, but we're improving...and I'm happy with
that right now. I knew she was this way when I bought her, and I
bought her anyway. *grin* But I get to see more than most
people--white plastic bags, cans, bottles, shiny cellophane on the
road...

Jessica & Teep (Moi? Spook? *I* never spoo--AAARGH!! IT'S GONNA
GET ME!!!)