ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Vosals

Re: Vosals

Ruth Bourgeois (ruthb@tdsi.net)
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 09:02:37 -0500

Mike Sofen wrote:

> I'm not as black and white as Bob Morris is, but I agree with his
> sentiments - many riders take horses out on trails that are one step away
> from a minor or major disaster. I'd rather not hear after the fact, "I
> wish I could've stopped him from a full gallop", after both horse and rider
> got injured. And I have been on trails with other horse/riders that were
> dangerous to be around.
>
> I believe, as Bob appears to, that a complete set of basic training is a
> required component of a "finished" horse. However, once I feel that my
> horse has enough ground school to respond to emergency cues no matter what,
> then I'll start the trail work, AND continue his ground schooling. But I
> will not endanger my horse by placing him into a situation for which he is
> unprepared. If I get hurt through my own stupidity, that's one thing - if
> I hurt my horse, then I should get counceling and training.
>
> Much of the world views horses as a replaceable commodity - I view them as
> an irreplaceable treasure...

Yea, Mike!
I agree 100%!!!
It's sad to see so many people who have no regard for their horses - buy
one, sell him the next month or so, try another, never really getting to
know or care for the animal. My horses, too, are "irreplaceable
treasures".

Question-- has anyone tried the "Arabian hackamore"? It has S shaped
curved shanks (very refined looking) with a rope-like nosepiece and a
curb chain. I've been using it on my mare this summer. It can be as mild
as a sidepull, or has some "bite" to it if you tighten up the curb chain
a little bit. I found that I have much more control than with a snaffle
bit and she's very light with it. After riding her with that, I have no
problem riding her with a halter and lead rope! I think this is a piece
of equipment that is as mild as you want it to be, but it's nice to have
that extra control when and if you need it. My question is- I've been
using it like a hackamore/vosal, etc. riding one-handed, neck reining.
At the last ride, the judge told me I should use 2 hands on the reins.
That didn't make sense to me, as this has shanks like a regular
hackamore, and it didn't seem correct to try to guide her as if she were
wearing a snaffle bit. Has anyone else used this piece of equipment? Do
you ride one-handed or two?
Ruth