ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Vosals

Re: Vosals

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Thu, 07 Aug 1997 05:58:24 -0700

Zebella wrote:

> I know some of you guys (Karen? don't you use one? ) use vosals on your
> horses....my question is How much control do you have in one of these?
> More or less than a mechanical hack? More than a sidepull?
> Is whoa an option?
>
> And which is better (more control)....the rawhide chinstrap or the
> steel?
>
> Is this something that could be used on a fairly hot horse?
>
> tracy,

I've been using a Vosal I bought from SPortack for a year now. I thought
my guy was kind a HOT but he may just respond to me pretty good as
well.
I thought the Vosal was pretty adjustable in severeity, but a few people
have told me it's fairly mild compared to those you just mentioned. I
ride him with control in his and would never put a bit in his mouth
again, but I tried it on a new 4 yo we just got and he was pulling hard
on me the whole ride. I may not have had it adjusted properly for
either. I'll try it again soon with a smaller adjustment on the chin
piece which should give me more whoa.

Susan & Sabian