ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Bosana shoes & Easyboots

Re: Bosana shoes & Easyboots

Dorothy Beebe (daadmin@psln.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:07:52 -0700

> At 06:19 AM 8/6/97 -0700, Jerry & Susan Milam wrote:
>
> >> Easy boots up here are very expensive and when I read the surgery-like
> list> of equipment one must have to foam them on and the ridiculous
lengths
> to> which one must go to get them on and off, well, I'm looking for
> something> else that will protect from rocks, too, something a little
more>
> straightfrward.
> ======================
>
> <stepping in blindly to this discussion> I'm not sure who wrote the
original
> post but wanted to respond to this one part..

I'm commenting blindly, too, but wanted to contribute my $.02--here goes...

I first learned about Easy Boots from Karen Chaton. She uses them on both
horses for all endurance rides. Initially, I thought she was nuts (now I
know she is--just kidding, Karen). I used them a few times and even
considered using them in place of shoes this season, but my mares hind
hooves grow sort of weird without shoes, so that turned out not to be an
option.

The first time putting these things on, I didn't have any help or even a
strap to help pull them on. Yet, my horse stood still and did everything
except "push" when I'd ask her to. I got them on, we went for a training
ride, and I got them off...with a little struggle. They were sort of a
pain and I really didn't see what all the fuss was about--so she had a
little rubber between her and the road...big deal!

I did 5 rides (3 25's and 2 50's) without even considering putting the
Easyboots on. The majority of these I did with Karen and her Easybooted
ponies, but I still didn't care. Then I planned to do the 50 at Tahoe Rim
and had several non-Easyboot fanatics say to use them because its rocky.
So I did...with the foam.

I learned greatly from Karen's advice and from the mistakes she'd made with
them in the past. Now I'm sold, and not even because of anything she said
or did. Its the foam. We only used a small amount, and yet, when I took
the boots off, what I found on the inside of them was basically a gel
insert--almost like you'd get for aerobic tennis shoes. That gel base has
me hooked and I will always use the boots with foam on rides now.

My mare has awesome feet and she doesn't really need the protection, but I
want her to be doing endurance with me for years to come and I think this
product with the foam will enable that. I also think that by limiting
their use to rides, I won't risk breaking her feet down or causing her to
become tenderfooted.

As far as all the equipment for putting them on and off--not all of it is
necessary. I didn't have a lot of it at my first attempt, borrowed some
and made do with other stuff instead. It will make it easier to have the
Vaseline, vetwrap, stir stick, rubber gloves, etc., but I'm not going to
kill myself trying to acquire it all at once.

Initially, you could easily get away with only vet wrap, foam and something
to stir with...but don't make the mistake of using too much foam...go easy.
And if you have a horse that stands still, you don't need the towel to
work on either.

Thanks Ryder for a great product!!!

dorothy & elly (hey, cool shoes mom, but can I have red ones like Weaver?)
Taylorsville,CA