ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Wrinkly Girth

Re: Wrinkly Girth

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 13:24:39 -0700

At 11:53 AM 8/6/97 -0700, you wrote:

> I ride in a Sports Saddle with a nylon-backed fleece girth with
> elastic on both ends. Lately, my mare's skin has begun wrinkling in
> the area behind the elbow, and she's becoming progressively more
> sensitive. I take up the girth slowly and keep it on the loose side. I
> stretch out the legs and have even tried holding one leg up while
> tightening the girth, but the wrinkles persist. Any suggestions? Does
> anyone make a string girth with covered buckles? Has anyone tried the
> new biothane girths with the roller buckle? Thanks for your help!
> Bobbie Lieberman
> and Fine Print -- bay, but thin-skinned

Hi Bobbie:

As you know, I ride in a SS too...on both horses. I use the biothane girth
and it works great on both of them. It is also my personal favorite...easy
to clean...eliminates having to have an off billet and a cinch strap, and
you can reach down and tighten them from the saddle :-).

I also recently tried the new PVC-neoprene girth on Weaver while he had the
ringworm (he got shaved)...and it did seem to work well. It did not rub or
gall him, and I didn't need to have it very tight at all to feel secure. I
just didn't like the bulk, but other than that it worked well for the horse.
Now that things are back to normal...we are back in to the biothane again
:-). Both horse AND rider are happy now <g>.

btw, the biothane girths aren't all that new...I've been using mine for at
least three years. Both of my horses have done all of their endurance miles
in them, which isn't a huge amount, but does total over 1,000 miles
(multiply that a few times to include conditioning and pleasure rides!).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver