ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: sores from Neoprene girth?

Re: sores from Neoprene girth?

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 02:09:02 -0700

Deborah Barber wrote:

> My grey Arab had first short training ride with neoprene girth. Soft,
> puffy, pink spot in girth area resulted. Was it too tight?

How tight did you make it? Was the saddle positioned correctly behind
the shoulder? Did your saddle shift? How far did you ride?

The neoprene must be able to <slide> over the skin as it gets wet from
sweat to prevent chaffing. If it is too tight, it's causing shearing
and friction burns. When mounted, you should be able to slide your hand
under the girth. Assuming your horse has decent withers, the saddle
should sit fairly well without a tight girth. Heck, I've seen daylight
between the horse & girth on many a ride. My husband is always waiting
for me & the saddle to roll under the horse for the latter part of a
ride. Crew entertainment!

> My sorrel Qtr. horse has gone miles with same girth & no problems.

Every horse is different. The neoprene may not be what works for the
Arab. We have had success with a variety of girths over the years, but
we keep coming back to the neoprene and mohair.

> What type girth works best on greys?

Wrong question! It shouldn't be what works on grays. It should read
"What works on MY horse." We can all make sugestions on what works for
us, but nobody will have your combination of saddle, girth, horse,
riding style, etc. Try to borrow equipment to try before purchase -
it's much cheaper that way.

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV

--------------D315ACA3A04--