ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: abscesses

Re: abscesses

Zebella (zebella@idt.net)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:06:05 -0700

AFA@co.clark.nv.us wrote:
> any foreign object though and that did concern her. Well, anyway she
> dug out quite a bit of the frog and sole to get what she could and
> wrapped the hoof with a DMSO and antibiotic mixture and covered in up.
> She told me I should give bute and redress the abscess everyday for

We have always used a "sudar-dine" mixture with excellent results. Mix
table sugar with betadine solution to make a thick goopy paste, and pack
into the foot.

I would also soak for 20 minutes 2x day in hot water and epsom salts to
try and draw out the abcess.

Also, how
> common are abscesses? I don't know what caused this one because as
> I said no object was found. Could the terrain we ride on have been the

We have had many abscess over the years. We ride in rocky ol Arizona,
and getting some just seem to be inevitable. A stone bruise can easily
turn into an abcess, which is probably is what happened to your mare.
It's not at all uncommon not to find an object in the hoof.

Let me know if you need more info. The procedure I outlined above has
always worked for us. I don't think I would like the dmso, because it
does heat up, esp if you wrap over it.

tracy