ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: Pre Purchase Vet Exam / EPM Test

Re[2]: Pre Purchase Vet Exam / EPM Test

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Thu, 31 Jul 97 13:28:41 EST

In this area of the country somewhere around 1 in 3, enven 1 in 2 horses will
test positive for exposure to EPM or the rather the protazoa that causes it.
This test has little use. I got a lot of info about EPM and testing procedures
when I was trying to sell a horse to a woman last year. She owned one horse that
had permanent damage due to EPM and was paranoid (understandably) about the
disease. She insisted on the blood test. My nice mare tested positive. I was in
a sweat. I contacted the research center at the University of Kentucky and got a
lot of info first hand from one of the primary researchers. She volunteered to
talk to the propective buyer to explain to her what a "positive" test means. The
sale just didn't happen and a 1 1/2 years later the horse is still doing fine
for the person who did buy her. Here in the south EPM is rampant or rather
exposure to the protazoa is. Actual cases of EPM aren't that frequent.

Bonnie Snodgrass

PS: A horse a this barn several years ago was hit hard and suddenly with EPM.
The vet took a shot at a quick on site diagnosis and immediately put him on
medication with out waiting for the test results which could take over a week.
The test was positive, the horse responded well to treatment (today a much
longer course of medication is usually prescribed) and he went on to a sucessful
event and fox hunting career with out any permanent damage or reoccurances.
Owner was very fortunate to have a well read vet willing to go out on a limb as
at that time EPM was little understood and typically undiagnosed.

Bonnie Snodgrass