ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: [Fwd: Re: Standing in Stirrups]

RE: [Fwd: Re: Standing in Stirrups]

Jennifer Heim (JHEIM@gunder.com)
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:37:36 -0700

Fallis saddles are Monte Foreman-designed Balanced Ride Saddles. While
I have success in using this type of saddle for endurance, they were
designed for fast speed work, such as speed dressage, reining, cutting
or chasing cows thru brush. You will find in doing these high-speed,
high-balance work that you naturally come forward in the saddle and find
the stirrups hung by the pommel much more secure.

But you're right - the stirrups are hung too far forward for ease in
2-point stance. It can be done, but the "Thighs of Steel" thing comes
to mind. Going uphill in these saddles is easier on the horse and
rider, because you are able to keep your legs in the groove by the girth
with far less energy.

Jen & the Sunman

Linda S. Flemmer wrote:

> --
> Almost any Western Saddle except charro saddles, Hook and
Fallis saddles

In my opinion the Fallis would be one of the worst ones, since
the
stirrups are actually hung over the pommel rather than the bars.

The folks who I have seen ride in them inevitably have the "arm
chair"
look going....feet thrust out in front of them, butts against
the
cantle.

Tracy