ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: panting

Re: panting

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:58:23 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 18:22:13 -0400 (EDT), PEGGASIS@aol.com wrote:

><< Are there any suggestions for helping horses that pant? >>
>My quarter horse used to pant also. He wasn't in condition and couldn't =
cool
>off fast enough. After your horse is in better shape, she porbably won't=
do
>it anymore. Lots of LSD. After he was conditioned for slow 50's, he =
never
>panted again.

You've made a false assumption -- that panting is a sign of lack of
condition or overstress in the horse.

On the contrary, panting is normal (IMO actually desirable) in a fit
endurance horse competing in humid conditions. It allows them to more
effeciently cool themselves while conserving bodily fluids. It is not
uncommon for a horse to actually learn to pant as he gets more fit and
competes at higher levels.

Lain, an AERC Hall of Fame horse, was a notorious panter, who was
known to leave vet checks and return to the trail with respiration
rates over 100 breaths per minute. Lain retired fit and sound after
over 8,000 miles completed.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net