ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: skinny horses

Re: skinny horses

Nicco Murphy and Pat Hlavin (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 18:12:45 -0700

Cowgirgoof@aol.com wrote:

> Nicco, have you had a real good dentist do his teeth? And how hard do
> you
> train? Hard to believe a horse can stay thin on that much groceries!
> Have you
> ever tried Natural Glo or another fat supplement? I'd be interested to
> hear-
> not blaming you, just curious! Becky

Yes as a matter of fact the money I've spent on Hal's teeth could have
replaces my worn out crown. The bill for all three horses was about $700
this year with Hal taking the most work (over two hours and several dope
shots), being the oldest and the least looked after (we got him a year
ago). Tried rice bran for a little while until I ran the sums and
realized how out of whack the Ca/Ph ratio was. He ran on corn oil for a
while but prefers oats, tends to leave behind a soggy mess of uneaten
feed once in a while with the oil.

Fact is I don't think he's terribly skinny, just his natural build. He
has some fat under his neck, on his chest and between his thighs. He
does about 30 miles a week average.

Nicco