ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Tevis logistics- how do they do that?

Re: Tevis logistics- how do they do that?

Ramey Peticolas-Stroud (ramey@wvi.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:01:02 -0700

Hi Lois,

Many folks who do Tevis arrange for their rigs to be driven to Forest
Hill, near Auburn. It's a good parking/staging area. Some drop-off the
trailer and then drive their truck around the course.

It's almost impossible for a crew to be at the start and still be at
Robinson Flat VC before their rider arrives. Sooo, two crews are needed
with one going to Robinson the day before the ride. Another good way to
do this is to share crews with another rider for that vet check.
Another possibity is to send a vet check box to Robinson and then crew
yourself.

As for the other checks, many are restricted access. But ride
management does a great job of providing goodies for horses and riders.
Clubs like the Ride & Tie association will often sponsor/staff a stop.

One thing that might be fun in the future is to have a aid station
competition. Get different groups to sponsor/staff aid stations along
the trial. Then let the riders vote on who did the best job. I ran the
Honolulu Marathon where thye did this and it was great! Imagine running
up Diamond Head at 20 miles out and hearing the theme from Rocky played
over loud speakers, then seeing nurse in grass skirts serving water.

Oh well, back to Tevis...

If you want to experience Tevis first hand as a crew, please drop us a
note. The Killer Bees are already getting ready for Tevis '98.

Hope this answered your question.

Ramey Peticolas-Stroud