ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: cruppers

RE: cruppers

Jennifer Heim (JHEIM@gunder.com)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:47:39 -0700

In my most humble opinion, the tail is the strongest "link" in the
backbone of the horse. On long mule trains on extremely difficult
terrain mulemen will tie a mule to the tail of the mule in front of him.
If and when a section of single-track trail catastrophically slides out
from one of the mules on the team, the strength of the tail tie of the
mule in front and his own tail being tied to the mule behind him, the
two mules are able to haul Mr. Unfortunate back onto the trail without
pulling the entire train over the cliff with him. Now, mules and horses
are totally different, but the basic musculature is the same around the
tail.

Also in my opinion, it's better to have a crupper putting some pressure
on the tailbone than having a saddle jabbing him in the shoulders or
riding up his neck. If a horse is going downhill and the rider's weight
is on his shoulders or on his neck, one misstep and it's a somersault.

Jen & the Sunman

----------
From: Jacqueline Mansfield[SMTP:jaxson@leopard.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 2:14 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: cruppers

I could really use a crupper on downhills with my horse
but I have not
used one yet because I am afraid it will put harmful pressure on
his
tailbone. I have several people critize me that if my saddle
slips forward
it means my saddle does not fit my horse correctly (even though
he moves
out great, has even sweat marks, and no pressure bumps, sore
spots or
etc.), is this true???

I have looked into breaching straps like pack animals
have and this seems
less harmful than cruppers but again I have heard this still
couldn't put
harmful pressure to those butt muscles. Argh!

I have done without, not wanting to hurt my horse and
since we do REALLY
slow 25 milers anyway I just get off and walk beside on steep
downhills.

What have the veterans found to be true????

Jacqueline Mansfield

Author owned by Winza, 14 year old Crabbet Arabian gelding

Carl Zwanzig: "Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side,
a dark
side, and it holds the universe together...."