ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Equine Senior

Re: Equine Senior

Kathy Myers (kathy@nvolve.com)
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:56:44 -0700

tracy writes:
>I have an 8 yr old gelding that keeps on the thin side, and is, shall we
>say...HOT!!!!! I am leery of feeding him much grain, I'm not sure we'd
>be able to stay on him <g> and I was wondering if feeding the Equine
>Senior complete type feed might be an option?

My friends and I have found that feeding Equine Senior can make a horse
hotter. Certainly works that way for the old TB beast and the 1/2
arab/appy. What we found to work is generic rice bran. Puts on weight
nicely... they love it... and doesn't make them hot. To balance the
Calcium / Phosphorus I soak a pound of alfalfa pellets into a mash and
mix in 1/2 pound of rice bran. Takes about 10 minutes. Alfalfa pellets
and generic rice bran are both in the $7 to $9 a 50# bag range here in
the silicon valley.

Dynamite complete feed also puts on weight without making them hot, but
costs a lot more.

>Is there any reason this would be bad to feed to an 8 yr old?

Not that I can think of as long as the vitamins and minerals are
balanced. In general, don't older horses need to get a bit more
of this stuff than younger horses? The ES has a lot of vits and
mins in it so just make sure your feeding program doesn't over do it.

:) - kat
in No. Cal with Magnum the TB ex-racer
1981 b g 5-0-3/23, ret.