ridecamp@endurance.net: Attitudes (was Re: Pulling)

Attitudes (was Re: Pulling)

Jan Snyder (jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:07:10 -0700

Bob wrote:
>While I agree with you somewhat I have, to my regret, encountered many
>riders who forget about the horse once the ride is finished. THEY did the
>ride, THEY placed in such and such a position, I could have done better
>except the HORSE did/ didnot --- and so on.
>
>I go to many rides where the awards are presented TO THE RIDER and the horse
>is never mentioned. I see many awards that mention the rider and not the
>horse!! And so on--- that is my complaint!!
>
>It is about time that more riders considered that with out the horse there
>is no endurance ride. (Try one with out your horse Sallijan)

Oh, absolutely! I agree, my point is that we are a TEAM first and foremost.
I'd be happy to bring my horse to any awards ceremony for which I ever
become eligible, if it is logistically possible.

I doubt you will ever hear of me forgetting my horse, or blaming my horse--
or trying to walk 25-50 miles, either.

It _would_ be nice if the awards ceremonies always remembered to mention
the harder-working member of the teams. Maybe everyone just takes for
granted that they wouldn't even be there without the horses and doesn't
always think to include them, since the animals don't particularly care.

Maybe I'm too kind where human nature is involved? ;-)

Question for everyone: When you talk about your rides, do you say "we did
it" or "I did it"?

-Sallijan
and Charlie

Sallijan Snyder, Santa Clara, CA | ==> I am not a speaker-for-Intel.
(408)765-9068 wrk (408)629-5909 hm | "Give me land, lots of land
Internet: jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com | Under starry skies above--
or sallijan@ix.netcom.com | Don't fence me in!"
*IZCC #42, ZONC #97043* | --Cole Porter