ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Splint

RE: Splint

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:53:56 -0700

I just went through this. It appears, at least in my case, that
moderate, unweighted (no rdier) work helped stabilize and then reduce
the splint. By moderate, I mean did walk and trots in hand around our
track (we have a quarter mile track), starting with one, going to two
and three laps.

I started, however, with stall confinement for 10 days. Started getting
a nutso horse, so that's when I started working him. By about 22 days,
I started light workouts mounted, and at about 30 days, we were back to
just under normal activity.

The splints are going down slowly, and, depending on the injury and the
horse may never go completely away.

The vet suggested dmso and compressive wraps, which I tried for 5 days
and didn't appear to affect anything. Like your horse, mine had no
lameness at all.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA