ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Pulling

Re: Pulling

Anne Barnes (barnes@numbat.murdoch.edu.au)
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 08:52:27 +0800

At 04:53 PM 6/23/97 -0500, Tina wrote:
>what determines whether you are noted as pulling due to Rider Option or as
>Lameness/Metabolic??
>
>Does it just come down to whether the rider says "I pull" before the vet can
>say "you are pulled"?

In Australia, riders may withdraw from the ride if the horse vets through
OK. Any horse that is withdrawn, either on course or at ride base, must
still present for vetting. The horse may be vetted out if it is lame, or has
metabolic problems, or has excessively elevated heart rate (cut-off rate and
time of check may depend on the ride. Most of our rides are still vetted as
30 minute hold then check, so for example, a horse withdrawn on course and
trailered back to base will be checked 30 minutes after arriving back at
base, unless of course it is tied up, colicky etc and requires immediate
attention).

There is a "black mark" system, for want of a better term, where you get
marks against you for vet outs, and after a certain number of accumulated
marks, you get a letter from the state committee notifying you of this fact,
and basically reminding you to look after your horse - this seems to be a
reasonable idea in that people who always over-ride to the detriment of
their horses will be picked up, and can be cautioned or given a rest order.
The mark system takes into account the different problems that can arise -
bad luck versus bad management. SO, the reason we have for not allowing a
horse to withdraw without penalty until they pass the vet check is to stop
people pulling their horse when they know there is a problem.

If your horse vets through OK at the check, but you are don't feel right, or
even if the horse feels lame now he's cooled down, you can withdraw without
penalty if you do it before you go out again.

Is this similar to how it operates over there?

Anne
Western Australia