ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Dogs, Farriers, etc.

Re: Dogs, Farriers, etc.

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, DreamWeaver wrote:

> Just to offer a different perspective on the subject....
>
> I LOVE taking my dog with me on trail rides. First of all, I ride alone
> most of the time and she provides me great company. In addition, I
> appreciate the extra bit of security having a dog along provides. I am very
> fortunate to have a breed of dog that will stick to my side. (and we took
> her to obedience school) She follows behind the horse very nicely, at a
> safe distance and is constantly aware of where I am. She will not run off
> to chase any wild animals, as she knows it is her job to stay with her
> 'herd'. She is a working dog and this is her 'job'. I have yet to have
> one of my horses startled by a dog jumping out of the brush. Are you
> kidding, with all of the mountain bikes, motorcycles, rabbits, squirrels,
> coyotes, mt. lions, quail, and flocks of birds flying up - they better be
> able to handle a dog. ;^)

I don't think that anybody was suggesting that some dog owners do not
enjoy taking their dog along on the trail, but rather that other trail
users do not appreciate it.

Personally, my attitude is...

If dogs are allowed on the trail with pedestrian owners, you should be
allowed to take your dog on the trail on horseback. Of course, if
pedestrian dog walkers are required to have their dog on a leash, then
horseback dog walkers should too. Dogs belonging to peole on horseback
ought to be subject to the same leash laws as every other dog.

To the best of my knowledge there is no place in the United States that
exempts certain dogs from the prevailing leash laws based on the breed of
the dog or how obedience trained it is.

As far as dogs at endurance rides goes...

The policy regarding dogs should be stated on the entry form, and the
policy should be followed by all participants. Ride managers should not
be required to say: No dogs, NO DOGS, ABSOLUTELY NO DOGS, DON'T BRING YOUR
DOG!!!, We really mean it PLEEEEEESE DON'T BRING YOUR DOG. Nor should
they be required to provide an excuse for having this policy (e.g. the
owner's of the base camp don't allow it, the forrest service doesn't allow
it, your dog might be eaten by a mountain lion, etc.). If ride manager's
want to have a no dog policy, they can have a no dog policy. If they want
to require dogs on leashes at all times, they can require dogs be on
leashes at all times. If they want to let dogs roam around loose
throughout base camp and along the trail, they can do that too. They can
even make exceptions for some people/dogs if they like.

All these things, however, should be clearly stated.

With regards to horses spooking at dogs....

Trail horses are not yet fully trained if they spook at dogs. Therefore,
dogs on the trail should be regarded as schooling opportunites. AND trail
horses that are only partially trained should not go out on the trail
ridden by people who are not capable of properly schooling the horse in
the event it encounters a dog (or any other member of the local fauna).

We should learn to share the trail with everybody, including people who
would like to use it to walk their dog.

kat
Orange County, Calif.