Subject: Pulse problems (sorry, this is long)
Author: ridecamp@endurance.net at smtp
Date: 6/23/97 6:59 AM

Hi Group,

Working hard for years fixing problems (with behaviour, indifferent
lameness and other stuff) with Ligeira, my 12 yr. partbred-arab mare,
now I fear I've got a new one and would like to get some ideas what it
could be.

NEVER had any problems with regeneration. Sorted it out as a typical
"beginner's failure"- untill it happened to myself !
The first two rides of the season, she was brilliant. Running well, no
lameness, recovery superb despite of high speed. Then, 5 weeks ago, the
last vetcheck of a 40-mile ride. second lap, speed was medium (~ 6-7
mph). riding pulse (trotting, cantering) was 130-140, quite OK for her.
No signs of fatigue. Get into the check, pulse 80. after 20 minutes:
72-76, out ! (criteria here is 64 after 20 min). Let her eat, standing
in the shadow, wash her, walking around - nothing worked. It wasn't too
hot really (aside she had never any problems competing on hot days!). So
I monitored her several hours. pulse stayed elevated (64-80), wandering,
for about 6 hours. Apart from this, she behaved absolutely normal,
grasing, looking fine, not depressed. amazing...
I let my vet perform a general examination, doppings analysis and blood
test. Result was: some higher muscle enzyms (but no too high), Selenium
and Zinc a bit low, liver values something poor. No real result.
stethoscoped the heart, said it's fine.