ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: endurance dogs

Re: endurance dogs

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:28:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997 SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> There is also the everpresence opportunity to have to pick dog feces out of
> your horse's feet. For this reason I generally give a pointed recommendation
> to locals who opt to walk their dogs on our bridle paths at home, of course
> offering them the use of our shovel. Wonder what their back yards look like?
> Or do they save it all for public right-of-ways?

I would be very careful about complaining about my horses stepping in dog
shit on the trail. If I am not mistaken a multitude of bicyclists and
hikers want to ban horses from the trails because they don't want to have
to go through the horse shit.

I would never dream of complaining about that aspect of dogs on the
trail...let the hikers and the bike riders complain about that.

Additionally, though we don't have much by way of dogs (or its attending
problems) on our trails, we do have plenty of coyotes, and they are
equally as likely to leave droppings on the trail. So no matter what, you
are going to have to watch where you/your horse is walking if you don't
want to have to pick the shit out of your horse's feet.

kat
Orange County, Calif.