ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Racing was LD RACES + whine country markings etc.

Re: Racing was LD RACES + whine country markings etc.

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:30:20 GMT

What an excellent post! Bravo!!

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 06:48:42 -0700, Niccolai Murphy <hlurphy@socal.wanet.com>
wrote:

>5. What ever our reasons for playing this crazy game, we have fun the
>night before, we have fun volunteering, we have fun after the ride and
>sometimes the ride itself isn't so bad. Though, on some of the tougher
>rides it's like banging your head on a brick wall, it sure feels nice
>when you stop. If it stops being fun, it's probably Nature's way of
>telling you to pick another hobby. By the way, here's a hint. The
>tougher the ride and the more easy it is to get lost, the closer to
>death you get, the more fun you are supposed to be having (it makes the
>after ride stories more fun, "Bill you remember that time your horse
>dragged you on your butt the last ten miles?"... "Yeah nothin' unusual
>'bout that 'cept the barbed wire fence."). If you find yourself worrying
>a lot before, during and after the ride, it is a sign that you are not
>having fun, unless you like worrying.

Maybe I'm just a masochist, but my fondest memories are of the toughest rides
and trails. I *LOVED* the (infamous?) 1987 Race of Champions in Utah, and was
really disappointed to hear they would not use that trail again. The Old
Dominion remains one of my favorites (I *liked* the old "double dipper" and
looked forward to Sherman's Gap). It's no accident either that the toughest
trails are usually the most scenic, and the best at proving the toughest horses
and riders.

Would anyone really enter a ride that was fifty laps around a mile track?

On this I emphatically agree with you and Bob Morris. Endurance rides are
cross-country, and are at their best when they take you into "real" country.

--

Joe Long jlong@mti.net http://www.mti.net Business http://www.rnbw.com Personal