ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Bakersfield Ride

Re: Bakersfield Ride

Jim Mitchell (navion@bak2.lightspeed.net)
Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:20:15 -0700

ENDRIDER@aol.com wrote:

> I had heard that there was going to be a ride held in Bakersfield, Ca.
> I can't find it listed in any of the periodicals.

A group of us and the girl scouts were/are going to put on a ride here. (Actually in
Carrizo, but thats close) We filed a permit with the BLM and after initially saying it
looked good (in March) they told us in May it was a no go. Too many endangered
animals/plants at the site. The race was to be held Oct 25, 1997.
We have appealed to the BLM manager (Steve Larson) now and it is running through
again with us willing to make concessions on trail and camp location to make it happen.
The manager told me he would give us a final decision on June 18th, just in time for the
120 day requirement for AERC sanctioning. I hope it is not just a smoke screen with them
stalling us until there is no more time to argue.
We looked at a couple other locations but we don't have time to make them happen by
this fall.
Anyway that is the latest

Jim Mitchell
Bakersfield, Ca.