ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Sports Saddle

Re: Sports Saddle

jalderman@juno.com
Sat, 07 Jun 1997 22:22:50 -0400

Jan,

Please post this for me. Thanks.

--------------------------------------

I have a Sports Saddle that I use on my Paso Fino and I love it. He has
medium withers, a flat back, and a round barrel. I have not had any
problems with soring his back except once when I shifted the pad under
the saddle and inadvertently put a kink in it. If you use the right kind
of saddle pad underneath (firm enough so it won't kink), you should have
no problems with soring. It's a good idea also to get a pad that allows
air to circulate over the spine.

I have heard that the soring problems with gaited horses can come from
the rider sitting in one spot all the time, and/or the tendency for
riders of gaited horses to sit back. If you periodically shift your
weight, and make sure your weight is not on his loins, you shouldn't have
any problems.

Joanne Alderman

On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 19:24:39 -0400 J Smith <jansmith@teleplex.net>
writes:
>Jo,
>Want to responde to this one?
>
>Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:46:11 -0700
>From: Margy Kramer <margyk@hocking.cc.oh.us>
>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>Subject: Endless search for the perfect saddle
>
>Help! I thought I might have found it, the sports saddle. Something
>that would fit my low flat withered, short backed, rotund fox trotter
>that I could use on my other fox trotter and girthed western for my
>arthritic hands. When I responded to a saddle for sale ad it turned
>out that the saddle was for sale because it sored the back of the gaited

>horse it was being used on. I've read many comments pro and con on
>this saddle but does anyone else have any experience using it on >gaited
horses and on a variety of horse back shapes?