ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Swelling nearly all gone

RE: Swelling nearly all gone

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:06:06 -0700

Sounds like a "splint", where one of the splint bones gets bumped and
apparently the physiological response is to build more bone, causing a
hard bump, which can keep growing. I just had the same thing happen,
appears to have been caused by a ride in a stock trailer with exposed
ribs. The vet said to restict activity (keep stalled) for a week or so,
use dmso and compressive wraps to minimize the swelling and hopefully
eliminate any new bone growth, and light exercise without a rider. It
becomes strictly a cosmetic change to the leg.

My horse has no ancillary swelling and no lameness.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA