ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Gate into hold

Re: Gate into hold

Raymond Santana (rtsantana@ucdavis.edu)
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 09:04:48 -0700

KimFue@aol.com wrote:

> I found your observations interesting. One of the things I have
> observed with the new method is that horses that have a genetic
> predisposition to low heartrates have an enormous advantage over horses of
> average or just above average recoveries. A low recovery rate is not always
> an indicator of fitness. I know of several horses that can gallop/canter in
> to a check and be below 60 (their fitness level doesn't matter). When they
> begin to get tired they may hang at 60 or 62 where a tired horse of average
> recovery would hang at 68-72 and will get an extra few minutes of rest time.
> Those incredible recovery horses don't get the rest they need at the vet
> checks unless their riders are really in tune with their horses and honest
> with themselves about their horse's level of fitness.

Kim,
I agree with everything you say above. I do think we as horse
owners/riders need to learn what our particular horse is capable of and
use them in the appropriate manner.
Unfortunately too many "riders" (actually passengers) do not understand
their horse and will override them. I have noticed many vets at
checkpoints attempt to advise the rider of any indications the horse is
showing signs of fatigue. I for one pay close attention to the advice
and will think about how I can adjust what I am doing to enable a
successful completion.
In other words there's an entire package of fitness indicators not just
P&R.

Raymond Santana
Network Operations
UC Davis Medical Center