ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Refunds

RE: Refunds

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Tue, 27 May 1997 09:44:03 -0700

In other competitive events with entry fees, refunds are only given if
the event itself is canceled, or if the competitor cancels their entry
within X days of the event. Many events have a no refund policy within
24 hours of the event.

Even more extreme, for the larger events like state/regional team roping
where up to 500 riders will be registering, they cut of registration at
2 weeks prior to the event - if you haven't registered by then, you
don't get in at all, and refunds are issued up to 7 days before the
event, none after.

While that policy is a bit extreme for endurance events where turnouts
are relatively small, I think a policy of no refunds after check in is
more than reasonable, and is FAR more accomodating than other
disciplines. For the sport to grow (or even self-sustain), both riders
and organizers must be willing to shoulder part of responsibility for
events, and event organizers have a far higher load to carry than do the
riders - if they get burned too many times, then that event will
disappear.

The flip side is, it is the riders that MAKE the event, so organizers
must make them as attractive as possible, but, in my opinion, that
doesn't mean handing out refunds after a rider checks in.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA